Online slots have become more than popular among players all around the globe. With increased interest in online slot machines, developers of casino software have started to produce new machines. Players enjoy slots for many reasons including their simplicity, availability, and ongoing excitement.
However, if you want to become familiar with the slots and their functions, you need to learn how online slots work. Check this guide for more details.
They Include Random Number Generators
Every slot machine is controlled by a random number generator. This is the machine that guarantees that the results of games are fully random without the impact of third parties.
RNG is part of other casino games as well, including online roulette where it determines where the ball will fall. Every spin is a result of randomized numbers and players can rest assured about a fair gaming experience. However, all these work only if you play at a reputable gambling site.
Number of Reels and Paylines
Each slot machine consists of a different number of reels and paylines. While classic slots include 3 reels, modern variations include 5 or more reels. When it comes to paylines, you will typically find machines with 10 paylines.
There are also spectacular machines with 243 winning ways or Megwaways system with a changeable number of reels. To win the game you need to match the symbols in a row on one of the active paylines. The combinations usually pay from left to right, but you can also find machines paying both ways.
Online slots are not only specific for their structure, but they also stand out with different symbols such as:
- Wilds: They are the most common symbols in online slots. You can find them in nearly all machines where they replace all other symbols and form a winning combination. For example, if you hit four sevens and a wild, you will have five symbols in a row. Some wilds are stacked, with the capability to cover all the reels. On the other hand, you can also find wilds with a multiplier attached, which leads to the multiplication of your wins.
- Scatters: These symbols are also usual in slot machines and they will pay out depending on the number of them on the reels. In some cases, you will find scatters paying when at least three of them appear on reels. However, the scatter symbols are most popular for a capability to activate the bonus spins round. The more scatters you trigger, the higher prize you will earn.
- Free Spins: They are the most popular features of online slots as they arrive at your account without the need to pay anything for them. Free spins are usually activated by matching three scatters on a payline. In most cases, free spins will be recurring and you will have the opportunity to multiply the number of spins with new scatters.
- Gamble: Some slots will include a gamble feature after winning. It means that you will have a chance to double your win or increase it even more. The Gamble feature is usually based on guessing the color of a playing card or tossing the coin. Gamble feature can double your winnings, but it can also lead to a total loss if you make a wrong prediction.
- Jackpots: Some slots are connected with incredible jackpot amounts. It means that you can trigger massive sums when hitting a jackpot. Progressive jackpots have the ability to increase in value with every placed bet. When someone hits the main award, the jackpot will return to the starting value.
The result of every spin is random, but the house edge is always in the casino favor. As long as you play, the casino will have an advantage over you and there is nothing you can do about it. The casino has an advantage by using math and large numbers and every casino game will offer lower payouts than the winning odds.
For instance, if you select online roulette, your odds of hitting a certain number are 37:1. However, if you place a bet on a specific number, you will have a chance to earn only a 35:1 payout. Based on this example, it is completely clear how the casino makes money from you. Slot machines work in an identical way and you should know it before the start.
The payout percentage represents a mathematical calculation of how much cash will the slot return to players over an indefinite number of spins. If you play a slot with 98% RTP, the machine will return $98 for every $100 placed in a slot machine. The average RTP rate of slot machines is 96%, but you can find slots with both lower or higher RTP.