Video poker is one of the incredibly popular games at online casinos. The game provides players with reasonable odds to beat the house. That’s why gamblers visit both land-based or online casinos – to win the game and have some fun. However, if you are a beginner, you will definitely have to learn the basic video poker rules and strategies.
How to Play Poker
Video poker is simple to learn and become professional. Once you select the right poker site for yourself, be sure to follow the next steps:
- Adjust the bet between 1-5 coins
- Press Deal Button
- Choose Which Cards to Hold
- Press Draw and Receive Replacing Cards
- Receive the payout according to the paytable
All video poker versions follow the same rules and you won’t have major problems when switching from one version to another.
Video Poker Games
Video poker is available in multiple shapes and forms. New players may find it challenging to choose from so many games. If you are one of them, be sure to stick to the following variations:
- Jacks or Better
- Deuces Wild
- Double Bonus
- Joker Poker
Jacks or Better is the best poker version for starters, with the simple paytable and clear rules. What’s more important, almost all poker variations are based on Jacks or Better allowing you to learn the other games easier.
Deuces Wild is another recommended version for players who are just at the beginning of the betting experience. This version includes two wilds that replace other cards and support players in creating better hands.
Double Bonus is the following poker version, based on the Jacks or Better rules. In this version, players receive a bonus for landing four aces. On the other hand, Joker Poker involves an additional joker card which substitutes all other cards to form a winning hand. It means that the game includes a 53-card deck instead of the standard deck with 52 cards.
Video Poker Tournaments
Did you know that poker is the right choice both for beginners and expert players? Video poker tournaments are recommended to players who are looking for additional excitement at online casinos. They typically appear in the following versions:
- Tournaments: They are available in one of the following forms: hand limits or time limits. If you choose a hand limit, the tournament will include a specific number of hands. On the other hand, a time limit tournament will last several minutes. In both cases, the winner is a player who has the most points.
- Challenges: As part of the challenges, players can invite other participants or groups of players to compete against them. In this case, a player who sets the challenge will determine the time or hand limit.
- Contests: They work in the same way as tournaments. Players who have the most points will share the total prize pool. The number of sessions is limited and the winner is determined on the best score from the session.
Video Poker vs Slot Machines
Video poker is usually compared with video slots as they both include machine gambling. However, the two games differ in several ways. Slot machines are free from any strategy and players just need to spin the reel and wait to see the outcome. On the other hand, the essence of video poker lies in a good strategy, and every single move can affect the outcome. Slots have some benefits such as regular bonuses, interesting themes, and versatile features. That’s why slots suit customers who are looking for entertainment instead of a well-thought strategy.
Getting Started Video Poker
Having said all that, we have come to the point to start with video poker. For these purposes, we can follow several steps and get the most out of the experience:
- Choose a Game: The best games to choose at the start is Jacks or Better
- Know the Strategy
- Practice the Game in free to play mode
- Find the games with the best winning chances
The best-paying variations of video poker are Full-pay Deuces Wild (100.76% payback), Full-pay Joker Poker (100.64% payback), 10 / 7 Double Bonus (100.17% payback), 10 / 6 Double Double Bonus (100.07% payback), All Aces (99.92% payback) and 9 / 6 Jacks or Better (99.54% payback).
The strongest hand in video poker is a royal flush which includes an ace, queen, king, jack, and 10 all of the identical suit. Other powerful hands are Straight flush (a sequence of 5 cards of the equal suit), Four of a kind (four cards of the equal rank), Full house (Three of a kind and a matching pair), Flush (Five cards of the same suit which are not in a sequence) and Straight (Five cards in a row but of the different suit).
Paytable in poker consists of five columns and your winnings are based on the number of coins you play with (between 1-5). The strongest hand in video poker is a royal flush which pays 250, 500, 750, 1000, or 4000 for playing with 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 coins respectively. To increase winning chances and potential payout, players are recommended to always place a max bet.